More experienced than the lower-level mad scientist, the mid-level mad scientist has likely joined a band of like-minded individuals and therefore gained a small amount of consistent income - most of the money raised goes towards scientific equipment and lab animals. In addition to leading lower-ranking scientists in a lab, this character wanders the world and the internet, searching for brilliant, if unbalanced, minds to add to their organization.
This character knows how to avoid police and border scrutiny, and can sometimes tell if they're being followed.
A mad scientists' motivations (and allegiances) vary widely, although they always center around science. Many villainous mad scientists have an allegiance towards revenge, especially towards those who refused to fund their previous experiments.
A mad scientist cornered in his lair is especially dangerous. He might invoke strange security measures consisting of drugged or mutated dogs, killer bee swarms, techno-organic security devices, killer disease spray from chemical showers in the ceiling, and so forth, depending on the realism level and time period of the campaign setting.
Mad Biologist (Smart Hero 4/Charismatic Hero 2): CR 6; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 6d6+6, hp 29, Mas 12; Init +1, Spd 30 ft.; Def 13 (+1 Dex, +2 class); BAB +3, Grap +3; Atk club +3 melee (1d6); S/R 5 ft./5 ft; AL science and any; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1; AP 3, Rep +1; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 14.
- Occupation: Academic (class skills: Craft [writing], Knowledge [earth and life sciences], Research)
- Skills: Bluff +5, Computer Use +6, Concentration +2, Craft (chemical) +5, Craft (electronic) +5, Craft (mechanical) +5, Craft (pharmaceuticals) +5, Craft (writing) +6, Craft (visual arts) +3, Diplomacy +7, Drive +2, Handle Animal +3, Hide +2, Investigate +7, Knowledge (behavioral sciences) +5, Knowledge (business) +5, Knowledge (civics) +4, Knowledge (earth and life sciences) +20, Knowledge (physical sciences) +7, Knowledge (streetwise) +5, Knowledge (technology) +6, Listen +1, Move Silently +2, Repair +4, Research +13, Search +6, Sense Motive +3, Spot +1, Swim +0, Treat Injury +0.
- Feats: Alertness, Attentive, Educated (Knowledge [earth and life sciences], Knowledge [physical sciences]), Low Profile, Meticulous, Studious, Windfall.
- Talents (Charismatic): Coordinate.
- Talents (Smart): Exploit weakness, savant (Knowledge [earth and life sciences])
| This article is related to |
|D20 Modern NPCs|
|D20 Modern NPCs by Creature Type|
|D20 Modern NPCs by Primary Character Class|