For that one box we would pay $120,000. The trouble is that we are from the Soviet Union, and your governments place such terrible restrictions on freedom of trade that we cannot buy your box. Pity!
Military intelligence operatives receive training in all kinds of things ... how to know when they're being followed and how to not let their follower know they know, how to jump from a train or an airplane, how to recruit traitors, how to communicate secretly, how to get in and out of a hostile country without being noticed, how to smuggle sensitive items in diplomatic packages, and so forth.
He can serve as an adversary to the players, relying on his (most likely) diplomatic immunity to evade any legal countermeasures the heroes may try to use on him.
They are often not given training in such things as martial arts, for fear of giving the agent the feeling of invincibility. Such agents often pose as low-ranking diplomats, and if so, do not spy on the country they are based in. Instead, they spy on neighboring countries. This way, if the embassy is shut down by an angry host nation, the flow of information from the former host nation is not stopped.
The above character is a generic example. You may want to spice him up by adding Fast or Charismatic levels and giving him Combat Martial Arts or Streetfighting as feats and Demolitions and Disable Device as additional skills.
Military Intelligence Officer (Smart Hero 3/Fast Hero 3/Dedicated Hero 5): CR 11; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 8d6+3d8, hp 45, Mas 10; Init +1, Spd 30 ft.; Def 19 (+1 Dex, +8 class); BAB +6, Grap +6; Atk small pistol +7/+2 ranged (2d6); S/R 5 ft./5 ft.; AL spy agency or nation; AP 5, Rep +1; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 12.
- Occupation: Military (class skills: Hide, Knowledge (tactics); bonus feat: Personal Firearms Proficiency)
- Skills: Balance +4, Bluff +7*, Computer Use +5, Concentration +3, Craft (chemical) +4, Craft (visual arts) +4, Demolitions +5, Diplomacy +12*, Disguise +5, Gather Information +9*, Hide +7, Investigate +8, Knowledge (current events) +12, Knowledge (history) +5, Knowledge (popular culture) +5, Knowledge (streetwise) +5, Knowledge (tactics) +20, Knowledge (technology) +5, Listen +5 (+11 surprise), Move Silently +4, Navigate +4, Profession +6, Repair +4, Research +5, Search +5, Sense Motive +5*, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +10 (+16 surprise), Survival +2, Treat Injury +2, Tumble +6.
The asterisk represents skills that the Empathy talent can provide bonuses to.
- Languages English, German, Russian and 2 more.
- Feats: Agile, Alertness, Armor Proficiency (light), Attentive, Deceptive, Educated (Knowledge [current events], Knowledge [tactics]), Low Profile, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Trustworthy.
- Talents (Dedicated): Aware (+6), empathy, Skill Emphasis (Diplomacy)
- Talents (Fast): Evasion, uncanny dodge I
- Talents (Smart): Linguist, savant (Knowledge [tactics])
| This article is related to |
|D20 Modern NPCs|
|D20 Modern NPCs by Creature Type|
|D20 Modern NPCs by Primary Character Class|